Saturday, September 20, 2008

Leaving Chicago

We started the drive to Iowa with a fantastic breakfast at this tiny diner a block from my apartment. We drugged the animals, packed them into the Uhaul, and were on our way. I said goodbye to the city as we drove West on I55.



Isabelle and Jaxson were high on meds to help them cope with the drive. It was kind of like animal Xanax. They sat on my lap most of the way. How cute, huh?



A lot of the scenary along the way on I80 through Illinois and Iowa is farm land. Rich took a bunch of pictures of the farm houses. He's never been West of Indiana. I think it's the most country he's ever seen. Below is one in IL. I still think it's pretty...open land, gorgeous.



We crossed the Mississippi River to get into Iowa.





"The people of Iowa welcome you" We were now in Iowa, good ole IA. It's a great place. You all should visit some day.



Now here's something to boast about...the largest truck stop is on I80 in Iowa. And it is huge! What a landmark.



Ah...another farm...I kinda miss seeing these.



Then we finally get into downtown CR. It's about a 4.5 hour drive from Chicago to Cedar Rapids. It's a blue collar town and it's called the City of Five Seasons, but my dad likes to call it the City of Five Smells because of the 5 factories in town.



Here's one of the factories...Quaker Oats. I always loved when they were making Peanut Butter Captain Crunch...YUMMY!!!!



Here I am drivin' gansta style...almost home...


2 comments:

Julie Coleman, Freelance Editor said...

Woo hoo! Love the animals on your lap. :-) And the snowy farm scenes--gorgeous!

Melissa said...

I love open farm land like that! It reminds me of when I drove through Wisconsin. And my favorite is the old beautiful barns. I love road tripping!!!